There's nothing more frustrating than playing a game without knowing all the rules. Lawyer and diversity consultant, Sharon E. Jones, can attest to this in her professional life. In her decades of professional experience, Jones has learned how to navigate the complexities of corporate culture and excel in organizations and industries still dominated by White male leadership. Jones acknowledges that it wasn't easy, but she hopes that her new guide to career advancement as a diverse professional will help you avoid some of these same challenges.
As a woman of color, she has spent her entire career navigating the conscious and unconscious biases of her supervisors and peers. Jones demystifies ten unwritten "rules of the game" and provides over 100 strategies to help women and other diverse professionals succeed.
- the current trends in diversity in the workplace,
- the importance of visualizing your goals before you even begin,
- the value emotional tenacity will have as you encounter challenging situations,
- the need to identify the metrics for success,
- the difference good sponsorship can make for your career,
- the ways your professional appearance alters others' opinions of you,
- the importance of self-promoting and advertising your strengths, and
- more rules and techniques to help you build your vision of personal and professional success.
Jones has discovered that these lessons can apply to every type of organization and industry. She understands that women and people of color need to work twice as hard just to get rewarded, and she wants to help you overcome the challenges you may face in your workplace. With both research and her own personal anecdotes, Jones explains the best ways to achieve your own definition of career success.